No limit hold’em is played using a standard 52-card deck with poker chips. The basic NL hold’em rules are:
- On the poker table, there is a dealer (D) button. The player to the left side of the dealer button is the small blind and starts the forced round. The player to the small blind’s left is the big blind and must contribute to the pot.
- From the NL hold’em rules, each player is dealt two cards face down when the round starts. These cards are the 'hole cards.'
- Five more community cards are dealt face-up at the table's centre in 3 separate stages.
- The first stage is the flop, where players get three cards to face up.
- The second stage is the turn, where players get 1 card face up.
- The final stage is the river; players get one last card with the face up.
- Players must combine two main cards and the five community cards on the table to make a strong hand using the five cards.
- Each stage has its playing round.
- If other players are at the table after the final round, the game goes to a showdown where the best hand takes the money in the pot.